apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Lucian Adrian Grijincu" <lucian.griji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apr_filepath_encoding on Darwin
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:29:48 GMT
On 7/17/07, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, I can't confirm: I'm trying to find out why Subversion is the only
> app complaining there's no locale set when interacting with the
> filesystem while the rest of the world seems perfectly fine with
> reading UTF-8 filenames. [But I don't own a Mac myself either, though
> I sure can find someone to test for me, later today.]
>

> Subversion generates an error when there's no locale setting *and* APR
> returns APR_FILEPATH_ENCODING_LOCALE, but everybody kept on insisting
> there's no reason, because there's no locale involved in OS X file
> names. (Presenting to the user, maybe, but not for storing on disk.)

Hmm, this sounds like an error of interpreting things from
subversion's point of view.

One thing you could try is to see whether compiling APR to return
APR_FILEPATH_ENCODING_UTF8 fixes your problem or not.

*IF* UTF8 is the only locale on Macs, APR_FILEPATH_ENCODING_UTF8 seems
like the right value to return, because it's more explicit than
APR_FILEPATH_ENCODING_LOCALE, but then again, I haven't looked to see
how code interacts with these values.

--
Lucian.