apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Lucian Adrian Grijincu" <lucian.griji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apr_filepath_encoding on Darwin
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:58:52 GMT
On 7/17/07, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Lucian Adrian Grijincu <lucian.grijincu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > APR holds everything in locale encoding on UNIX and UTF8 on Windows.
> >
> > As far as I know UNIX system calls must accept *locale* strings, not
> > an arbitrary encoding (be it UTF8 or other). This may be Mac related,
> > could you point out exactly from where you deduced that strings passed
> > to "stat()" must be UTF8 ... that's a mighty large document to digest
> > :)
> Sure. First sentence of the last paragraph under "File Systems and
> Unicode Support":

I think you mean this page:

If I'm not mistaking the text before this paragraph talks about the
encoding used to represent filenames inside the file system. But this
is not related to the locale (well if a locale used names not
representable in the encoding of the file system you may get corrupted
data or what else).

So, please can you confirm that you can set a locale different than UTF-8?

> "All BSD system functions expect their string parameters to be in
> UTF-8 encoding and nothing else."
> bye,

I've never worked on a Mac, but can you set the locale to something
else than UTF-8?

> Erik.

View raw message