apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Get rid of builtin expat
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:23:27 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Davi Arnaut wrote:
>> And why expat? Can't we in the future provide a common layer for other
>> xml parsers? Who's going to keep expat up to date?
>
> Davi; your arguments are generation 2.0 discussions.  Why keep rehashing?

I also believe we should remove expat.  No one maintains it, and it
breaks stuff.  Yes, it also makes building a pain for some platforms,
but maybe we can look at fixing that separately.

This isn't a 2.0 change.  It is a bundled dependency or an external one.
 If we cannot agree on a this issue, perhaps we should look at an
alternative.

Subversion now ships multiple tarballs, one for just subversion, another
containing all 3rd party dependencies.

See section I.C for details:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL

Thoughts?

> Folks, do we want to copy /trunk to /branches/1.3.x on the chance that we
> decide a pre-2.0 release is a good idea, and start making such changes
> to trunk?

No.

-Paul