apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Get rid of builtin expat
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:26:06 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 7/29/07, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>> Anyone who does is a self-selecting techie.  How hard can it be to
>> list dependencies and where to get them?  Yes of course binary
>> packages with shiny installers should bundle dependencies, but
>> that's not at all the same as bundling in a source tarball.
>
> No, because they'd have to hand-edit the project files to compile
> depending upon which version of Expat they download.  IMO, that is
> bogus - our barrier of entry should be as low as we can make it.  --

Ditto.  This doesn't say anything about a Solaris 2.6, or BSD install,
or AIX, or HPUX, or any of dozens of combinations that APR should just
compile with, out of the box.

If we continue down this myopic path, the apps that APR supports become
less and less relevant.  And without such apps, APR itself is irrelevant.

Bill