apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Get rid of builtin expat
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:25:48 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 7/29/07, Davi Arnaut <davi@haxent.com.br> wrote:
>> We don't need to bundle it because it's a mandatory API, we just have to
>> explain to (win32) users how to extract a recent expat at xml/. It's not
>> a matter of API and we don't *need* to bundle expat, it's becoming a burden.
>
> No - the last time I checked, simply extracting a recent expat into
> xml/ isn't sufficient for Win32.  Expat has changed its build systems
> for Win32 many times over the years, so how we interface with a
> bundled expat of varying versions requires manual customization of our
> project files.  IOW, expat 2 isn't a drop-in replacement for 1.95.8 on
> Win32.  (The library name has changed, etc, etc.)

Please also keep in mind EANL - every apr isn't deployed on linux.

For that matter, linux or bsd or solaris or ... - apr generally supports
services.  If we follow the logic that a minimal box has what software
that's required to deploy the services that box will host, then it's still
premature to simply wipe out the prerequisite packages.

If APR 2.0 defines XML as optional, then by all means, let's point users
to obtain expat source elsewhere.  In the interim, if it needs patching,
patch locally.  If it needs to be bumped to 1.95.8, lets bump it (assuming
for a moment the ABI is compatible) without tweaking the way that we
actually build and package it.

Bill