apr-dev mailing list archives

From Davi Arnaut <d...@haxent.com.br>
Subject Re: apr_pools hairsplitting
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:55:59 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Davi Arnaut <davi@haxent.com.br> wrote:
>>> Have you looked at where the text size reduction comes from?  Fewer
>>> static functions being inlined?
>> mostly from the uninline of allocator_alloc and allocator_free.
>
> Since a lot of performance tuning was done on the allocator and pools,
> does this change and, in particular, removing the inlining, have any
> noticeable impact on our downstream apps - such as httpd or SVN?

It might make it slightly faster because of the reduce cache footprint
and reduced register pressure, but measuring the overall impact is
harder. Inlining is usually only advantageous for very small functions,
allocator_alloc only bloats the callers even more.

Inline expansions:

name                              totsz /  exp# = avgsz  src#
allocator_free                     710       4l     177      1
allocator_alloc                   1596       4l     399      1

Call sites:

allocator_alloc: apr_palloc [1], apr_pool_create_ex, psprintf_flush [1]
allocator_free: apr_pool_clear

[1] Only if a free node is not available.

--
Davi Arnaut