apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: RFC: nptl runtime enforcement
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 18:17:06 GMT
Davi Arnaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Posting to the list before committing since this may be a little bit
> controversial.
>
> The patch adds a new argument to the --enable-threads option, which
> enables a nptl-only build of apr. This enables the build process to make
> better assumptions regarding the behavior (and speed) of a few lock
> primitives (ie: apr_posixsem_is_global, much faster on nptl for
> inter-process mutexes).
>
> The patch still needs some tweaking here and there, but any comments or
> feedback would be greatly appreciated.

wish: We didn't have to return APR_ENOTIMPL inside apr_initialize() if
we were compiled with NPTL, but the runtime is missing it.

request: I'm not sure about overloading --enable-threads.  The --help
output will need to be updated to reflect the availability of this
option too.

the idea: I like it. I think we should do it.

-Paul