apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Get rid of builtin expat
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:39:56 GMT
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 07:58:26 -0700
"Justin Erenkrantz" <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> On 7/29/07, Davi Arnaut <davi@haxent.com.br> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Can't we get rid of the builtin expat on trunk? Yesterday I had yet
> > another problem linking python (python-xml) and a static build
> > apr-util together on a pretty complex application. I know I should
> > have linked apr-util with the system expat, but then what's the
> > point of having one builtin?
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~davi/apr-util-remove-expat.patch
>
> Because not everyone (hi Windows folks) has expat already installed.

How many windows users compile from source?

Anyone who does is a self-selecting techie.  How hard can it be to
list dependencies and where to get them?  Yes of course binary
packages with shiny installers should bundle dependencies, but
that's not at all the same as bundling in a source tarball.

+1 to Davi.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/