apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apr_filepath_encoding on Darwin
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:11:48 GMT
Thanks for the write-up, Fred.

- it is convention on all modern Unixes I'm aware of that filename
charset/encoding follows LC_CTYPE; not just Linux.  It may derive from
Solaris, I think that's where the locale APIs originate.

- AFAIK this convention is not standardised anywhere.

- Linux-the-kernel is no different from any other Unix kernel in this
respect; it doesn't care about filename charset/encoding and doesn't set
policy for userspace.  Many Linux distributions set up UTF-8 locales
(via $LANG etc) by default, and expect applications to follow the
convention.

- if Darwin has a configurable locale, does *not* set this up by default
such that nl_langinfo(CODESET) returns UTF-8, but does by policy require
filenames in UTF-8, regardless of locale, I would agree with changing
apr_filepath_encoding as Erik proposed.  That is the case?

joe