apr-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <mar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r553027 - in /apr/apr-util/trunk: dbd/apr_dbd.c include/apu.h.in include/apu.hnw include/apu.hw
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 07:47:38 GMT
On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 01:37:08PM +0200, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> >> added define APU_DBD_DRIVER_FMT to apu.h which sets the driver format to
> >> build the DSO name;
> >> removed the ifdefs from apr_dbd.c; used apr_snprintf() also for symbol.
>
> > Why does this need to be part of the public API?  (i.e. why isn't it
> > private to apr_dbd.c, or in apu_config.h?)
> I had the impression that the apu.h header is there for platform-dependent defines;
> and I use it from mod_dbd.c which only includes apu.h (via apr_dbd.h):
> sure it can also go into apu_config.h - but this needs then some more changes:
> - apr_dbd.h needs to include apu_config.h

.... which is explicitly "private/apu_config.h" and should
     therefore IMO not be used from outside.

> - create a netware-own apu_config.hnw (not a problem)
> - tell apr-util/configure.in to add this define (I would need some help from you for
that)

... the latter is probably the best approach.

Please revert this patch for now, or find a different solution --
currently httpd-2.3.x doesn't even compile on unix because
of this patch:
   mod_dbd.c: In function `dbd_param':
   mod_dbd.c:173: error: parse error before "APU_DSO_LIBDIR"
because APU_DBD_DRIVER_FMT uses the (private) define APU_DSO_LIBDIR
which is not visible to mod_dbd.

Of course it is debatable whether apr-util should make the
define APU_DBD_DRIVER_FMT public if it results in an undefined symbol
when used.....

IMHO the define for APU_DBD_DRIVER_FMT should either go into
private/apu_config.h (where APU_DSO_LIBDIR is also defined), or
the define for APU_DSO_LIBDIR should be pulled in to make it public.

   Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>        |     Fujitsu Siemens
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/imprint.html | 81730  Munich,  Germany