apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: RFC: nptl runtime enforcement
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:32:44 GMT
On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 10:15:12AM -0300, Davi Arnaut wrote:
> apr_posixsem_is_global was just an example, there are many
> incompatibilities between LinuxThreads and NPTL (process shared
> resources, fork()/wait() on the child, thread termination on execve(), etc.
>
> What I want is to let the developer enforce that the build of APR he is
> distributing is only guaranteed to work linked with NPTL -- given that
> on almost any 2.6 distro the user may switch the pthread implementation
> using LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.

I'm not entirely comfortable with putting this kind of thing in APR.
APR *must* be able to presume that the run-time environment is equally
capable as the build environment - otherwise there is little point in
having a configure script at all.  Having APR attempt to verify the
capabilities of the run-time environment seems like a long road to start
down.

Where the NPTL features are actually exposed by the APR API - and note
that things like execve() behaviour in threaded apps are not - it must
already be the case that the relevant APIs will fail gracefully if the
user chooses to cripple the run-time environment.

Regards,

joe