apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Lucian Adrian Grijincu" <lucian.griji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release APR 1.2.9/0.9.14 and apr-iconv 1.2.0
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:38:39 GMT
On 6/7/07, Colm MacCarthaigh <colm@stdlib.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 03:06:10AM +0300, Lucian Adrian Grijincu wrote:
> > You said (or so I understood) that APR should add a new flag
> > (APR_NUMERIC_ADDRESS) to it's API. When a programmer wants to use
> > "::1" in a call to apr_sockaddr_info_get, they should pass in this
> > flag as well, to be sure that the call succeeds on Ubuntu 7.04 32bit
> > too.
>
> If we want to support this behaviour at all, we should. In general
> though I'd have thought apr_inet_pton is sufficient, and that apr as a
> whole does not need it. But for some reason folk seem to want
> getaddrinfo("::1", ...) to magically work in spite of the what the RFCs
> say , I'm just giving options here :-)
>
> > What would that programmer do if it had to pass a hostname to
> > apr_sockaddr_info_get and that name would point to "::1".
>
> Just not set the flag, since it's not a numeric address.
>
> > More verbose:
> > I added this to my /etc/hosts "::1 my_name_lo"
> > and modified the testsocket.c file that failed replacing "::1" with
> > "my_name_lo".
> > The test failed (on Ubuntu 7.04, see here:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcfg/+bug/24828 some
> > explanation for this behaviour on this platform.)

From this: " > But the test should fail in that scenario, I don't see
a problem." I understand that we:

a) either have different behaviour on different platforms (Ubuntu 7.4
(and everything based on it)  vs. the rest).
b) or document that this function must not be used with strings
representing link-local IPv6 IPs or hostnames to link-local IPv6 IPs.

Did I understand right?

> > What good would APR_NUMERIC_ADDRESS do in this case?
>
> Like I said, that is not the use-case.

I first understood that you were referring to the use-case of
"hostnames to IPv6 link-local IPs" in relation to
apr_sockaddr_info_get, not APR_NUMERIC_ADDRESS. Sorry it's kindof
early in the morning on my side of the planet and I'm subject to
self-imposed sleep-deprivation.

--
Lucian Adrian Grijincu