apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Lucian Adrian Grijincu" <lucian.griji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release APR 1.2.9/0.9.14 and apr-iconv 1.2.0
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:06:10 GMT
On 6/7/07, Colm MacCarthaigh <colm@stdlib.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 02:06:49AM +0300, Lucian Adrian Grijincu wrote:
> > <snip from=man getaddrinfo(3)>
> >       If hints.ai_flags  contains  the
> >       AI_NUMERICHOST flag then the node parameter must be a numerical
> >       network
> >       address.  The AI_NUMERICHOST flag suppresses  any  potentially
> >       lengthy
> >       network host address lookups.
> > </snip>
> >
> > how does this work with string names like "localhost" too?
>
> Eh, it doesn't, that's why it's got the word numeric in there ;-) But if
> people want to translate literal IP addresses into addrinfo structures
> regardless of connectivity - that's how to do it.
>
> > As I understand the APR interface that's misbehaving now needs to
> > support hostnames besides IPs represented as strings.
>
> Very much so, that's the majority use-case by a long long way, it works
> fine btw!
>
> > Suppose that a this string is read from the commandline as a
> > parameter. The app coder cannot pass this new APR_NUMERIC_ADDRESS
> > flag, because he doesn't know if the string he received is a name for
> > a link-local IP.
>
> Firstly: I'm not sure what your point here is :-) That wouldn't be the
> use-case.

You said (or so I understood) that APR should add a new flag
(APR_NUMERIC_ADDRESS) to it's API. When a programmer wants to use
"::1" in a call to apr_sockaddr_info_get, they should pass in this
flag as well, to be sure that the call succeeds on Ubuntu 7.04 32bit
too.

What would that programmer do if it had to pass a hostname to
apr_sockaddr_info_get and that name would point to "::1".

More verbose:
I added this to my /etc/hosts "::1 my_name_lo"
and modified the testsocket.c file that failed replacing "::1" with
"my_name_lo".
The test failed (on Ubuntu 7.04, see here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcfg/+bug/24828 some
explanation for this behaviour on this platform.)

What good would APR_NUMERIC_ADDRESS do in this case?

Or maybe I haven't understood what you were proposing ...

--
Lucian Adrian Grijincu