apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Problem with iconv charsets...
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:32:36 GMT
Marshall Powers wrote:
> I'm trying to use APR-1.2.7 in Log4Cxx 0.10 on AIX 5.3. When I run my
> program, I get an exception "APR_LOCALE_CHARSET" in the createDefaultEncoder
> method. I think this problem is related to the iconv that is installed on
> this machine. When I run iconv -l, among the various charsets I see
> "ISO8859-1". However, in the source for Log4Cxx and APR, the only string
> literals I see are for "ISO-8859-1" (note the extra dash). Is there any
> simple way to work around this problem? Is this potentially a portability
> issue with APR/log4cxx (that is, if I distribute some app that uses APR, and
> my user doesn't have "ISO-8859-1" in their iconv, is my app going to crash?)

Unfortunately, aliases are within the domain of iconv.

The question is, where did it pull out "ISO-8859-1" from as the default
locale on your box?  If *that* is from apr-util, we need to unwind where
it was resolved.  If that was an envvar set on your login, well, that would
be called shooting oneself in ones foot.