apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Amar <ja...@amar.com>
Subject Re: Shared Memory Usage Example
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:03:00 GMT
josh rotenberg wrote:
> I haven't looked at them  that closely, but it looks like in the APR
> distribution there are a few tests that exercise the apr_shm_* stuff,
> namely testshm.c, testshmproducer.c, and testshmconsumer.c. Do these
> get you anywhere?
>
> Josh

Thanks Josh,

I went ahead and did RTFC. It seems that non anonymous shared memory is
using memory mapped files, as opposed to the Linux way of using a 16 bit
name in a shared memory. It is more susceptible to name clobbering, but
eliminates the need to make sure there is a write permissible file
available on every client.

I guess I will have to implement using good old ipcs shm and one day
attempt to emend the apr lib for it. Just not good enough in
Windows/Novell environment to make it portable.

- Jacques