apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: apr_dbd: supporting multiple selects + results sets
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 00:47:29 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

> On 14 May 2007, at 23:49, Matthew Kent wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2007-13-05 at 18:31 +1000, Ian Holsman wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> One of the 'new' features of mysql (in 5.0) is the support of multiple
>>> result sets being returned to the client, and the ability to send
>>> multiple statements in 1 shot by setting a flag when you open the
>>> connection. Multiple result sets are also required if you intent to
>>> call
>>> stored procs.
>>>
>>> I plan on using it to pipeline SQL requests, and to call stored
>>> procs in
>>> mysql.
>>>
>>> So.. 2 questions.
>>>
>>> Is this functionality interesting for the APR DBD library in general,
>>
>> +1 usefulness from me. I'd love this implemented properly.
>
> We seem to have several people interested.  But I'm not clear what you're
> looking to support over and above what we have.  Anyone care to draft
> and propose an API extension for it?

what I see as being useful would be

1) add another option to the connection string, eg multi=Y to allow
multiple statements and possibly also multipleResults=Y to allow
only multiple results (which is required for stored procs to work)

2) a API function  dbd_has_next_result which calls the mysql_next_result
call, and for sqllite what ever it needs, with a #na error for other dbds'.

regards
Ian