apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Generic errors
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:56:31 GMT
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:11:52 +0100
David Reid <david@jetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I'd like to take Grahams idea for ldap and move it into "core" apr.
> The idea would be morphed slightly to work as shown below.
>
> We add a new structure, apr_err_generic_t which is used to contain
> details of an error that can't be described by a single code. The
> intent is that it's used when an underlying "subsystem" that apr
> relies on generates an error - ie the ldap daemon reports a problem
> or mysql can't process a query.

+1 in principle to an overhaul of error handling.  Can't comment
on LDAP specifics because I haven't studied them.

FWIW, apr_dbd takes a half-hearted stab at this problem, but not
one that I'd propose as a model for generalising.

> When this happens the function return APR_EGENERIC which means that
> the user knows a problem happens, that it was related to a subsystem
> and that there is more information available. They would then call
> another function to get the error structure. This could then be used
> to generate an error string via apr.

If the error structure itself is opaque and internal to apr_ldap,
and there's some sane (simple and generic) API for addressing it,
then by all means abstract that to an apr_error module.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/