apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Default APR sizes of size_t and ssize_t when cross compiling
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:51:59 GMT
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 04:17:38PM +0200, Aizer Danny-BDA023 wrote:
> I am cross-compiling Apache HTTPD 2.2.3 on a Red Hat Linux 9 (the build
> machine) for a PowerPC 82xx embedded device. When I run the top-level
> configure script which runs among others the APR configure script, I
> notice that the sizeof size_t and ssize_t are being defaulted to "8"
> because the $cross_compiling variable is set to "yes". The same
> behaviour can be seen for other configure tests also: if the
> $cross_compiling variable is set (it is being set in the beginning
> because the BUILD and HOST options have been specified on the
> configure command-line), then various ac_cv_* variables get some
> default values (which in my case are not appropriate for the target
> HOST architecture of ppc_82xx) instead of running the cross-compiler to
> calculate the value.

In general when cross-compiling you should expect to have to provide a
complete set of ac_cv_* and apr_* cache variables either in the
environment or in a config.site file.

For this specific case the APR macros used to determine type size could
probably now be replaced by the standard autoconf macros which can
magically determine variable size as Bob notes.

joe