apr-dev mailing list archives

From M Joonas Pihlaja <jpihl...@cc.helsinki.fi>
Subject Re: APR failing in low memory situations
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:11:21 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> M Joonas Pihlaja wrote:
> > However, I fear the ripple effect
> No kidding :-)  If your app has exhausted memory, your reduced to
> playing a never ending game of 'whack-a-mole' by attempting to tolerate
> all of the ensuing
> 'bad stuff' that happens.

Well... it's only 'bad stuff' if you didn't see it coming. ;)

> The only OS that I am personally acquainted
> with that has a robust designed-in model for dealing with low/no memory
> conditions is IBM's zOS.

It's not like a low memory situation for one program means that
the entire operating system has to croak any time soon, not even
under UNIX.  I do agree, though, that every layer of an
application must have a robust strategy for dealing with resource
limits, or the whole program will come down like a house of cards
at an inappropriate moment.

Cheers,

Joonas