apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r512557 - in /apr/apr-util/trunk: CHANGES dbm/sdbm/sdbm.c
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 04:28:44 GMT
On 2/27/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Any thread safety implications here?  If the data isn't refreshed
> between writes, it seems this could be a major hassle.

I don't think this opens us up to any more issues than we already have
with the current code.  The APR file buffers are thread-safe in and of
themselves - essentially this doesn't alter anything except that we're
allowing APR to cache - the same as the FS or OS might do on its own.
You could not do buffering if the DBM was open for writing, but
really, I don't think that'd change anything of substance here as the
code isn't calling flush() or similar after each modification - so
there's never been a guarantee that changes would be committed on disk
at the instant the DBM was changed in memory.  -- justin