apr-dev mailing list archives

From david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: dyanmic loading revisited
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:17:56 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 04:21:09PM +0000, david reid wrote:
>> I've been contemplating some pieces of functionality for apr-util, but
>> run into the whole "it's a kitchen sink" thing again. We've discussed a
>> few times having apr-util modules dynamically loaded and I think it
>> might be time to look at making this a reality.
>
> You can't just shove random bits of code into DSOs unless they are
> behind some encapsulation interface (like DBD) which allows function
> calls to be turned into
> function-calls-via-function-pointers-resolved-via-dlsym.

Yep, I know :-)

> You can split random bits of code from apr-util out into separate shared
> libraries, of course - is that what you mean?

Perhaps.

> Or do you mean taking random bits of apr-util code and isolating their
> dependencies on third-party libraries by having them load said libraries
> at run-time and use all symbols via dlsym()?

That would get quite horrible quite fast i suspect :-)

This is part of the reason for bringing this up again, we don't yet have
a model for what we want to do or much discussion and therefore common
ground on how it can be done. Rather than follow httpd-dev and decide on
a framework within the first 3 hours of a discussion, lets keep
everything on the table and see what drops out.

--
david

http://feathercast.org/