apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: dyanmic loading revisited
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:24:32 GMT
On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 04:21:09PM +0000, david reid wrote:
> I've been contemplating some pieces of functionality for apr-util, but
> run into the whole "it's a kitchen sink" thing again. We've discussed a
> few times having apr-util modules dynamically loaded and I think it
> might be time to look at making this a reality.

You can't just shove random bits of code into DSOs unless they are
behind some encapsulation interface (like DBD) which allows function
calls to be turned into
function-calls-via-function-pointers-resolved-via-dlsym.

You can split random bits of code from apr-util out into separate shared
libraries, of course - is that what you mean?

Or do you mean taking random bits of apr-util code and isolating their
dependencies on third-party libraries by having them load said libraries
at run-time and use all symbols via dlsym()?

joe