apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: dyanmic loading revisited
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:47:58 GMT
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:21:09 +0000
david reid <david@jetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been contemplating some pieces of functionality for apr-util, but
> run into the whole "it's a kitchen sink" thing again. We've discussed
> a few times having apr-util modules dynamically loaded and I think it
> might be time to look at making this a reality.
>
> Thoughts?

+1 in concept.  Are you volunteering to take the driving seat?

As you know, apr_dbd already supports dynamic loading of drivers.
I'm not sure whether the model used there will generalise usefully
to other apr_util modules, or whether we'd be better off starting
from scratch.

Principal goal: make everything that links external libraries
dynamic.  So that's things like expat, iconv, and the dbms,
as well as DBD.

Does anything in apr (not apr-util) want dynamic loading?
Something in there is linking libcrypt: is that apr_random,
and would that be better-placed in apr_util and dlloaded?

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/