apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Lucian Adrian Grijincu" <lucian.griji...@gmail.com>
Subject New Vista APIs
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:23:18 GMT
Vista come with a set of new APIs

"Slim reader/writer (SRW) locks enable the threads of a single process
to access shared resources; they are optimized for speed and occupy
very little memory."

the interface is very similar to the one APR has in
http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/trunk/group__apr__thread__rwlock.html

implementing apr_thread_rwlock through these APIs would be very
simple: we almost only have to call the corresponding OS functions.

the same stands for Condition variables:
"Condition variables are synchronization primitives that enable
threads to wait until a particular condition occurs. Condition
variables are user-mode objects that cannot be shared across
processes."

I haven't looked any further into the matter (performance of the new
APIs relative to APR's current implementation, or if there are any
other new Vista APIs that may simplify the APR's implementation of x
and y functions), but I wanted to get your opinion on this: is there
any desire to have (with a compile time switch) APR's functions
implemented through the new set op API's ?

--
Best Regards,
Lucian Adrian Grijincu