apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Vinay Y S" <vinay...@gmail.com>
Subject About apr_dir_open in win32
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:53:49 GMT
Hi All,
I came across this will debugging an issue with Apache. I've Apache
2.2.4default configuration with this extra configuration snippet.

Alias /f "F:/"

<Directory "F:/">
    Options Indexes
    Order Allow,Deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

It basically maps http://localhost/f/ to F: drive on the machine. When this
partition is empty, apache returns 403 Forbidden.
But if it wasn't F:/ but some directory inside like F:/htdocs, and it is
empty the error doesn't come.

This error seems to be coming from mod_autoindex that uses apr_dir_open like
this:

 if ((status = apr_dir_open(&thedir, name, r->pool)) != APR_SUCCESS) {
        ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_ERR, status, r,
                      "Can't open directory for index: %s", r->filename);
        return HTTP_FORBIDDEN;
    }

Here, argument "name" is "F:/".
This happens because within apr_dir_open a call is made to apr_dir_read that
does this:
            apr_status_t rv;
            if (rv = utf8_to_unicode_path(wdirname, sizeof(wdirname)
                                                     / sizeof(apr_wchar_t),
                                          thedir->dirname)) {
                return rv;
            }
            eos = wcschr(wdirname, '\0');
            eos[0] = '*';
            eos[1] = '\0';
            thedir->dirhand = FindFirstFileW(wdirname, thedir->w.entry);
            eos[0] = '\0';
            if (thedir->dirhand == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
                return apr_get_os_error();
            }

The FindFirstFileW fails on an empty top level directory as it doesn't even
have DOT and dot-dot entries. Shouldn't the behavior of apr_dir_open take
this into consideration? I suggest apr_dir_open to still return success even
if the directory is completely empty.

Is this a valid bug?

--
Vinay Y S