apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: MD4/MD5 implementation is non-free
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:44:05 GMT
On 1/2/07, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Joe,
> >
> > Not seeing the word "distribute" in the license, I would agree this
> > needs to be clarified.  There's an interesting mix of copyright terms
> > ("copy", "derivative works"), patent terms ("use", "make"), and even
> > an attribution requirement that is typically associated with
> > distribution.  However, without a word like "distribute" (or even
> > "communicate"), I agree we should get some clarification on this.
>
> There's a memo on the IETF site that may clarify some things here...
>
> http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all
>
> I'm not sure if this helps us or not, it says that derivative works
> can be sold, but doesn't seem to explicitly say if they can be
> distributed.  Wouldn't "sold" imply distribution though?  If someone
> with more of a clue in this matter could take a look and see if that
> memo resolves things, or if we need to do some more leg work to be
> sure that would be great.

Uhh, anyone?  It'd be really great if someone with more clue in this
are (Cliff, Roy, one of our lawyers, etc) could take a look at this
and let me know if it resolves our problem or not.  If not, I'll look
into an alternate solution (either asking RSA for an explicit
clarification or replacing the code somehow).

Thanks,

-garrett