apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: MD4/MD5 implementation is non-free
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 20:49:17 GMT
On 10/17/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joe,
>
> Not seeing the word "distribute" in the license, I would agree this
> needs to be clarified.  There's an interesting mix of copyright terms
> ("copy", "derivative works"), patent terms ("use", "make"), and even
> an attribution requirement that is typically associated with
> distribution.  However, without a word like "distribute" (or even
> "communicate"), I agree we should get some clarification on this.

There's a memo on the IETF site that may clarify some things here...

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all

I'm not sure if this helps us or not, it says that derivative works
can be sold, but doesn't seem to explicitly say if they can be
distributed.  Wouldn't "sold" imply distribution though?  If someone
with more of a clue in this matter could take a look and see if that
memo resolves things, or if we need to do some more leg work to be
sure that would be great.

Thanks,

-garrett