apr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Darroch <chr...@pearsoncmg.com>
Subject Re: DBD: Prepared statements, BLOBs etc.
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:44:29 GMT
Hi --

Bojan Smojver wrote:

> Looks pretty simple, doesn't it? Well, I tried with Oracle XE 10.2.0.1
> client and Instant Client 10.2.0.3, all connecting to Oracle XE Server
> (Universal and not) 10.2.0.3 on Linux - no go. I get:
>
> Execute error -1: ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into
> a LONG column

   You could be hitting a character set conversion issue between
your client and the server, or simply a poor piece of Oracle documentation.
A few possibilities are mentioned here:

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.dbi.users/browse_thread/thread/1659d16b3092699e/63df8e352aceec7a?lnk=st&q=ora+1461&rnum=7&hl=en#63df8e352aceec7a

They talk about "ML" or MetaLink in that thread; that's the central
Oracle support site.  Several "notes" from MetaLink are partially quoted.

> Now, the strange thing is that the size of BLOB and CLOB in my table is
> reported as 4000 bytes. Aren't these things supposed to hold at least
> gigabytes?

   Yes, they should.  But, the documentation makes fairly clear that
a 4 KB limit is imposed on a lot of internal conversions and
operations.  If you can get it working, more power to you!  You
asked elsewhere about the murky subject of Oracle character sets and
I'm afraid I'm far from expert on it.

   Personally I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't make more sense
to effectively return APR_ENOTIMPL and only provide LOB handling for
"sane" DB servers.  Maybe a driver-specific set of calls could provide
special handling for those that really needed it.

Chris.

--
GPG Key ID: 366A375B