apr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Darroch <chr...@pearsoncmg.com>
Subject Re: OCI: which version to support?
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:53:28 GMT
Bojan Smojver wrote:

> Some of the nice new calls in 10g (e.g. OCILobRead2) are not part of the
> older Oracle APIs. What's the policy on Oracle version support for APU
> DBD driver?
>
> PS. I personally don't care as I don't use Oracle at all. I just like
> the semantics of OCILobRead2 better than OCILobRead (which comes with
> weird and scary character/byte counting mix), when it comes to creating
> a bucket brigade.

   Well, I'm not sure there's a policy, as such.  At a minimum, I'd
think 10g and 9i should be supported.  8i (8.1, IIRC) would be nice too.
I seem to recall that 8.0 had somewhat incomplete features, since a
lot changed from 7; OCI got a big makeover.  I'd be inclined to suggest
not trying to support anything earlier than 8i, myself.

   Another to-do item is adding version detection to the autoconf
stuff.  As with so many things in Oracle, this is, I suspect,
non-trivial.  DBD::Oracle's Makefile.PL function get_client_version()
is pretty terrifying.  The stuff in APR-util's build/dbd.m4 is tame
by comparison.

Chris.

--
GPG Key ID: 366A375B