apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: New Vista APIs
Date Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:43:37 GMT
Lucian Adrian Grijincu wrote:
> The Slim Reader/Writer (SRW) Locks implemented in Vista are blocking-only.

Ahhh - that's a pity.

> A possible solution that I see means defining:
>
>     * a new constructor function:
>           o apr_thread_rwlock_create2 (apr_thread_rwlock_t **rwlock,
>             apr_pool_t * pool, apr_int32_t flags )
>     * a special APR_RWLOCK_FAST_BLOCKING flag.

Well, that would not happen because you are asking for a platform specific
feature.  What does FAST_BLOCKING mean?

We push back on anything that doesn't have a generalized computer science
application.  _FAST_ in this case appears meaningless.

If you wanted to hack the existing thread_rwlock API when running with
1. a blocking socket 2. on Win Vista, it's something we would consider.