apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [WIN32] IPV4/IPV6 differences
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:20:30 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>>>>
>>> Are you sure?
>>> Pass the NULL on unix enabled IPV6 APR, it will accept the
>>> 127.0.0.1. The IPV6 enabled Win32/Win64 will always reject this.
>>
>> apr_sockaddr_t is a linked list, and you have to listen() on every
>> address in the list.
>
> Look, I'm I speaking Marsian?
> Same API and params: unix-OK, windows-NO
> How can I simplify that more so you will understand the problem?

In a nutshell, loopback is a distinct socket driver, and  one of the
most notoriously buggy pieces of microsoft code.  What are you asking
a portability project to do about broken drivers?

If this were so horridly broken on Darwin or Linux or Solaris (heh - where
in fact it actually is broken ;-)  we push back on the OS vendor to fix
the damned thing.  Same goes for all of the garbage drivers on the windows
socket stack, written by hacks that don't code to the API while developing
their VPN/AntiVirus/AntiSpyware drivers.

We may or may not be doing the right thing in the win32 apr_socket_listen
code, compare to the unix implementation.