apr-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: [WIN32] IPV4/IPV6 differences
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:35:22 GMT
On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 02:58:04PM +0100, Mladen Turk wrote:
> On WIN32, APR by default comes with IPV6 disabled.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean the binary builds
particular developers make?

> Now, this is completely platform dependent, and makes
> the same config behaving differently depending on the OS.

Many stacks exhibit this behaviour and do not support IPv4 mapped IPv6
addresses.  OpenBSD does this by default, FreeBSD and Linux have it as
system-configurable. Tru64 and MacOSX do slightly weirder things still.

In general, the application needs to be aware of this and decide to
listen() on whatever it feels the need to listen() on. Not doing this is
a bug.

> I'm not sure what is the exact reason, but if I
> make "0.0.0.0" default when address is NULL for IPV6
> enabled Win32/Win64, then it behaves like it behaves
> on *nixes.

That's over-simplifying things, and would break a lot of other
code.