apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Problems with DSOs and Pools
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:31:56 GMT
On 11/9/06, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 01:35:45PM +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> > Quoting Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>:
> >
> > >2) Create yourself a global pool to load DSOs into, and do so early
> > >enough that it'll always be destroyed last.
> >
> > We discussed some patches along those lines around the end of
> > September. Would that be the approach that the list would approve? Or
> > are there still issues with validity of the whole concept?
>
> I remain unconvinced ;)
>
> It is possible to use DSOs and pools together safely (c.f. httpd).  It
> is also possible to screw up pool heirarchies with any of the object
> types APR exposes; I do not see DSOs as "special" from that perspective.

I think they are special because there are more ways you can screw up
with them than with most pool based resources.  I think it's a valid
use case to want to have people use functions that came out of a DSO
and not have to explicitly know that it came out of a DSO, and these
days you basically HAVE to know that in order to get things right 100%
of the time.

-garrett