apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Problems with DSOs and Pools
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 10:26:05 GMT
On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 01:35:45PM +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Quoting Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>:
>
> >2) Create yourself a global pool to load DSOs into, and do so early
> >enough that it'll always be destroyed last.
>
> We discussed some patches along those lines around the end of
> September. Would that be the approach that the list would approve? Or
> are there still issues with validity of the whole concept?

I remain unconvinced ;)

It is possible to use DSOs and pools together safely (c.f. httpd).  It
is also possible to screw up pool heirarchies with any of the object
types APR exposes; I do not see DSOs as "special" from that perspective.

It would be the same if you were saying: "Ah hey I screwed up the hash
table pool heirarchies in my application so I need to make these hash
tables allocate out of a global pool.  So can I add a special global
pool to APR for hash tables and make apr_hash_make(NULL) use that pool?"
"Ummm, no, fix your application" is still the appropriate answer.

joe