apr-dev mailing list archives

From Tollef Fog Heen <tfh...@err.no>
Subject MD4/MD5 implementation is non-free
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:17:00 GMT

Hi,

For those who don't know me, I'm one of the Debian Apache (and APR)
maintainers.  Some time ago, we received a bug report (
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=340538 , but bugs.d.o
is down right now, mirror at http://url.err.no/hxnxhq ) about the MD4
and MD5 implementations in apr-util being non-free and possibly
distributable.

I took the liberty of replacing the MD4 and MD5 implementations in
apr-util with the ones from dovecot (written originally by Solar
Designer and put in the public domain).  They took a bit of adaption
to not break the ABI or change the API.  The diff is attached and also
available at http://err.no/patches/apr-util-md4-md5-licence-fix.diff

As I have seen earlier that public domain in some cases if problematic
due to not being recognised in all jurisdictions, I have sent Solar
Designer a mail asking him to licence it under the ASL or a BSD
licence as well as public domain.  I'll follow up as soon as I have
his answer.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-