apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject [apr-iconv] State of the union
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:21:33 GMT
Hi,

It seems to me that only WIN32 platform actually uses apr-iconv.
All others platforms are dependent on system provided iconv library.

Further more the iconv 1.0 sources from Konstantin Chuguev that
originates from FreeBSD are way outdated and are not maintained
for years, so all the complaints about modifying the 'original'
sources are at least pretentious.

Now, the pragmatic question is:
If apr can use system provided iconv, what are the platforms
supported by the apr-1.2+ that do not provide their own iconv
and for which we *must* have spr-iconv.
AFAICT this is only the windows.

If that is the case I wonder what is the purpose of maintaining
the full platform compatibility for the apr-iconv if in the
real life it's used only on windows (at least the trunk).

Regards,
Mladen.