apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Support for fstatfs
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:27:37 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> It seems that a more effective high-water mark is to set an upper bounds
> on the desired cache size.

My understanding is that working out the size of a directory is more
expensive than working out what you have left on a filesystem. Is this
correct?

If it is cheap and simple to determine what we have left, then it is
cheap and simple to simply not try and cache a file that we know doesn't
fit, or that we know is too close to some safety margin. Right now cache
has no safety net to stop it hitting a wall at all.

In addition, giving the admin the option to define how much space they
want left, as an alternative to how big they want the cache, at the end
of the day amounts to the same thing. Let the admin decide.

Regards,
Graham