apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Support for fstatfs
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:14:00 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Well, seeing as any test you do will be befuddled by file compression on the
> volume you are writing and that trusting this information is foolhardy if there
> are multiple users of the device, I'd ask you to rethink the design before you
> create yet another set of "My drive has XXX free but the program crashes with
> a No Space Left message!!!" bug reports :)

Trusting this information is obviously not foolproof, but using this to
define a high water mark, beyond which caching quietly stops (with a
logged explanation, of course) would be very useful, rather than rushing
headlong into the wall, as is down now.

Call it a subtle and controlled degradation of service, if you will.

Regards,
Graham