apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr_dso_load(): DYNAMIC_PATH flag for shl_load()?
Date Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:58:23 GMT
Eric Covener wrote:
> On 10/14/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> It doesn't appear that the +s flag alone lets explicit calls to
> shl_load search SHLIB_PATH to find libraries.

If your assertion(s) are correct, that dlopen does search the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and shl_load does not, I agree with adding the
flag then (provided that it will always pick up a full path to binary
before it will ever use the search logic, explicit needs to override
any path list.)

> typescript-like testcase at http://misers.org/apache/shl_load.txt
> (similiar results for ia64 in same dir)

Thanks for that pointer.

> It might also be wise to (instead?)  test for SHL after DLFCN as SHL
> is deprecated (swapping of two stanzas in srclib/apr/configure.in):

It's not.  On 32bit / 11.any - it's important to continue to use the solid
shl in place of dlfcn, because the original dlfcn is not a solution, you won't
find compatibility from 11.x to 11.x box.  It's a shame HP didn't have the
foresight to entirely and robustly implement dlfcn with the introduction of
11.00.00 :(  OTOH with 11.any - it's important we pick up and use dlfcn for
64 bit compiled code.  Simply put, it's a mess, and I'd be happy to champion
a patch which carefully deploys shl consistently on 11 or prior w/32bit,
and dlfcn on 11 or later w/64bit and 12 or later w/32 bit.

I'm the one who reversed those stanzas several years ago based on the poor
implementation, so you are welcome to trawl the archives for my comments and
the threads on this.  Although it's deprecated, there's no way HP can break
shl during the lifetime of 11.x.

(FYI - I'm playing with 64 bit parisc2.0w builds these coming weeks, and will
probably have the patch I suggested above, shortly.)

View raw message