apr-dev mailing list archives

From Henry Jen <henry...@ztune.net>
Subject Re: Dialog - NOTICEs at APR
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:12:10 GMT
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 05:56:56PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> If Sun or Covalent gives a damn about getting properly credited then
>> they can tell their committers to use their @themothership.com address
>> on the list.
>
> When people gain commit, with emphasis on the word "people" there,
> we generally start refering to them by name only.
>
> As a meritocracy, we give credit to the individuals who write code or
> docs or whatever, and that's what names in CHANGES are really about.
> We don't give a crap who they work for, or if they change jobs, or
> e-mail addresses, the credit is personal to them.
>
> Acknowledging a copyright is a different thing IMO. Personal
> contributors can own their own copyright, or frequently, it may be owned
> by their employer. If a copyright owner wants the acknowledgement
> they are rightly entitled there is nothing we can do about it. Basic
> copyright law, and the ASL 2.0 4.c (which is how the work is licensed
> to us) definitely apply.
>
> It's a good idea that copyright owners get explicit notices if they want
> them, after all if someone wants to re-license that content, or if they
> suspect an infringement, they need to contact the primary copyright
> owner.
>
> We can choose to accept he patch with those terms, or to not accept it,
> but we absolutely cannot over-ride the copyright owners wishes.
>
> Of course, we can come up with a useful suggestion, hopefully acceptable
> to all. but it's worth noting that right now ASL 2.0 4.d basically
> suggests that the NOTICES file is the correct place for notices of this
> nature.

This is a very good comment and says everything I have to say for this
topic, I chose to keep silence in purpose before we can settle down the
discussion. :-)

Glad to tell you that our legal department is sane enough and agreed we
can just drop the notice as option 1.a. Hopefully this remove the hurdle
and can get the code committed.

Should I submit the patch once again or this email is enough to show you
we agree to drop the copyright notice?

This is taking longer than what I had expected, as from very beginning
we wanted to contribute the code. It's me that not being familiar with
both Sun's process and Apache's process. It feels good all the
legal/process issues seems to be completed. :-)

Cheers,
Henry