apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Clarification: apr_brigade_split()
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:14:33 GMT
On Wed, October 25, 2006 11:48 am, Joe Orton wrote:

> Correct - does the below read better?

It does - thank you!

> apr_brigade_split() should be used extremely carefully since it always
> allocates a new brigade.  If an output filter is written in such a way
> that it may call apr_brigade_split() for multiple invocations per
> response, then it will use memory proportional to response size.

I am using it to solve the problem of the cache trying to process large
(by my initial arbitrary definition, anything 5MB and larger) files in one
go by splitting large file buckets into smaller buckets before processing.
The 5MB figure should probably be tunable, so that if you have nice fast
cache disks, you can process bigger blocks and in doing so consume less
memory during processing.

Regards,
Graham