apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Strange size of produced APR binaries on Solaris
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:31:51 GMT
On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 01:19:42PM +0200, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:48:41PM +0200, Mladen Turk wrote:
> >>Building APR gives a really strange binary sizes on Solaris.
> >>produces the libapr-1.so.0.2.7 sized 3094060 bytes.
> >
> >Debugging info, needs stripping (strip -x on Solaris IIRC).
>
> Can this be done within the APR build itself, unless something
> like --enable-maintainer-mode is defined, that IMHO should
> have debugging turned on? Or is this genuine Solaris?

Making --disable-debug strip -g from CFLAGS would not be unreasonable, I
suppose.

> In any case, it should be turned off by default thought.

Most of the people who care about this are those who are redistributing
binaries, which is a tiny minority of all those who build from source.
For everyone else, it doesn't really matter, and getting useful
backtraces is far better than burning a bit of disk space.

Regards,

joe