apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Run-time selection of poll implementation
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:10:56 GMT
On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 09:04:34PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> Currently, apr chooses whether to use epoll, kqueue, port, select or
> poll at build-time.  This works quite well if your apr library is only
> used on hosts with the same capabilities as the one you built on.
> However, if you build on Linux 2.6 and try to use the binaries on
> Linux 2.4, they don't work (due to the epoll interface not existing on
> 2.4).

Of course, so don't do that.  If your lowest supported kernel revision
is 2.4, then you have to build on a 2.4 kernel so APR won't use any 2.6
features.  Otherwise you have to force particular choices by doing e.g.
"export apr_cv_epoll=no" before running configure, to prevent detection
of 2.6 features.

epoll is not the only 2.6 feature which APR will depend on at runtime if
detected at build time, I can think of HAVE_TCP_NODELAY_WITH_CORK also,
probably others too.

joe