apr-dev mailing list archives

From "David Horowitz" <dav...@mcgrawsoftware.com>
Subject apr_socket_recvfrom question
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:59:41 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm wondering about apr_socket_recvfrom, specifically the "from" parameter.

It is understood that "from" returns the apr_socketaddr_t of the sending
socket upon return. However, I see discrepancies on whether "from" has any
significance as an input parameter.

APR test code indicates the "from" parameter is used as an input-output
parameter, indicating upon input the sockets from which we are willing to
receive data.

However, recvfrom(2) man page makes no mention of "from" as anything other
than an output parameter, and even mentions it can be NULL if you don't care
about the sender's identifying information.

So, my question: is "from" indeed an input-output parameter, or just an
output parameter? Again, I confirm APR test code indicates it's both, but if
recvfrom(2) doesn't treat it as such, than apr_socket_recvfrom() obviously
won't either.

Does anyone have clarity on this subject?

Thank you,

David