apr-dev mailing list archives

From Henk Fictorie <henk.ficto...@kpn.com>
Subject APR 0.9.12 causes Apache 2.0.59 to stop responding
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:08:50 GMT

Environment: Sun V440 with Solaris 8. Webserver (2.0.55 and 2.0.59) compiled
with gcc 3.3. Both using openssl-0.9.8a. We use the worker MPM and
AcceptMutex set to pthread.

After Apache 2.0.59 was released we tried to upgrade our existing Apache
2.0.55 (mod_rewrite bug)
After a couple of hours the webserver stopped responding, we had to fall
back to Apache 2.0.55.

In our test environment I was able to reproduce this problem.
The culprit seems to be our setting AcceptMutex pthread in combination with
APR 0.9.12
When I compile/use Apache 2.0.59 in combination with the APR 0.9.7
everything works.

Reproduction:
- use pstack to find the process with the listener thread in poll state
- kill -9 that process
- no new process is created by the master process
- webserver stops responding

With APR 0.9.7 after killing the process the main process just creates a new
process and the webserver reacts normally.

Any ideas on what could be wrong, bug in APR 0.9.12?

regards Henk Fictorie