apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Dialog - NOTICEs at APR
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:49:48 GMT
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 05:56:56PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
> We can choose to accept he patch with those terms, or to not accept it,
> but we absolutely cannot over-ride the copyright owners wishes.

You hit the nail on the head.  A submission with a NOTICE requires that
the NOTICE is republished by us, and all downstream users & packagers.
For example, about this current submission, I can't commit it and say
"well, how we would like to handle it is just omit it".  We accept the
submission with it's notices or we reject it entirely.  We don't ever
override their request.

> Of course, we can come up with a useful suggestion, hopefully acceptable
> to all. but it's worth noting that right now ASL 2.0 4.d basically
> suggests that the NOTICES file is the correct place for notices of this
> nature.

That's correct, it's the one appropriate place.

> It's a good idea that copyright owners get explicit notices if they want
> them, after all if someone wants to re-license that content, or if they
> suspect an infringement, they need to contact the primary copyright
> owner.

And -that- is the gist of my question - thanks for your comments.  I really
hope to see feedback from more of the PMC members, especially those on SVN
and HTTPD who are directly affected by the downstream notice requirements.
The more feedback the merrier.

Bill