apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: API to prevent further allocations from a pool?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:37:24 GMT
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:09:35AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 9/8/06, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >But to make a strong API guarantee I think this would need to use atomic
> >operations anyway, which means the performance hit (mutexes on some
> >platforms) would indeed be way too high for the pool allocation critical
> >path, I think.
>
> I don't see the need for thread-safety here, though perhaps we're
> thinking of two different things.  (apr_pool_freeze() may be a better
> name for what I'm thinking of.)

That makes sense; those names are definitely good too.  But the question
remains on why this needs to go in the "production" code not just the
debug build.  This is certainly a more intrusive feature than _join,
which has been happily consigned to the _DEBUG build forever.  (for some
definition of forever which includes its legacy in 1.3 anyway ;)

Regards,

joe