apr-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Dubov <oa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: DBD: Prepared statements, BLOBs etc.
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 02:36:23 GMT
I was not following the topic lately, so excuse me if I'm out of sync.

> Which brings me to my reasoning why apr_dbd_blob_t doesn't contain a
> brigade (one of the proposals that was floating on the list), but
> rather a flat data pointer and size (in case you were wondering). The
> caller is in a much better position to control memory allocation
> issues here and leaving the "flattening" of a brigade to DBD functions
> can bring about all kinds of unwanted memory allocation effects. In
> the end, most databases deal with a flat chunk of memory and that's
> what callers mostly have anyway.

It also was my idea on going this way some time ago, but now I see the light. I actually believe
that there is a considerable advantage in using buckets (not brigades) when passing binary
data to
and from the database. And heap buckets behave in a way user will expect from *_blob_t or
any
similar structure.