apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Problems with DSOs and Pools
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:10:55 GMT
On 8/17/06, Bojan Smojver <bojan@rexursive.com> wrote:
> Quoting Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org>:
>
> > So the pointers to the literals where invalid. Ouch.
>
> Right. I see that my assumption about relying on things after
> apr_dso_unload()/apr_dso_load() cycle was incorrect.
>
> I'm not sure how to address that at all. I mean if on Linux pointers
> change after dlclose()/dlopen() cycle (with ref. counts at zero),
> relying on pointers to be the same is sure to be a bug, right?
>
> I have a feeling that this part of the problem really has to do with
> abuse caused by programmers using the API and not APR...

Perhaps, but if we make slight changes to APR's APIs it becomes quite
possible to avoid these sort of problems.  It doesn't seem like you
should have to bend over backwards and jump through hoops at the same
time in order to load DSOs inside a library that exposes interfaces
that use pools.

-garrett