apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: regex
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:04:20 GMT
On 8/14/06, david reid <david@jetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > On 8/12/06, david reid <david@jetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >> After a discussion on irc, I've started lookign at adding pcre support
> >> to apr-util. The patch to start this off is below...
> >>
> >> Not perfect and not quite complete, but I said I'd post early on this
> >> and let others look.
> >
> > What's the advantage to using this instead of just using PCRE directly?
>
> I've heard this a couple of times now, so while I had thought the
> benefits spoke for themselves maybe they don't.

Well, I'd just like to clarify what the goal is here.  Is it just to
provide an API that's nicer to use in a pool based app?  Is it to
actually provide a portability layer that uses multiple back end regex
libraries (seems unlikely).  I don't necessarily object if all you're
trying to do is make things work better with other apr type code, I
just want to clarify that it is in fact the goal.

-garrett